Posted Hilliary Meisner on 7/18/2016 |Featured Columns & Series
At Girls on the Run, we learn all sorts of lessons that we can use in our everyday life. Lessons like how to stand up for ourselves and our beliefs, how to be a leader in our communities and how to make healthy choices to help keep our bodies and minds strong. In a recent post I talked about how we make hundreds of decisions a day and one of those decisions we make in a day is around how to fuel our bodies.
Recently, I have made some changes to my diet by not eating gluten and dairy to help with some food sensitivities and to ensure I am living as healthfully as possible for me.
With these new changes, I have found that I need to get creative in the kitchen so that I can enjoy the foods I love while keeping my body happy. I have been experimenting with healthier chicken nuggets for a while and today I want to share the recipe with you! They are full of flavor, crispy, gluten and dairy free! I like to serve these healthier chicken nuggets up with a simple side salad or steamed veggies (carrots and broccoli are a crowd pleaser in my house) to complete the meal.
Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets
1 lb chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces, placed in medium bowl
2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
1 large egg
1tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
1/2 cup gluten-free oatmeal
1 baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray
1. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together egg and almond milk. Set aside.
2. In a small food processor, process the oats until coarsely chopped. Don't over process, you still want some bigger pieces of oats.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together gluten-free bread crumbs, processed oats, salt, pepper, garlic and Italian seasoning.
4. Set up your work station. You want to line up your bowls in this way: chopped chicken, egg/milk mixture, oat/seasoning/bread crumb mixture, and last you want your prepared baking sheet.
5. Take a small handful of chicken and carefully place in egg/milk mixture. Make sure every piece is covered. Carefully remove the chicken from the egg/milk mixture and dredge it through the oat/seasoning/bread crumb mixture. Make sure each piece of chicken gets coated in the bread/oat mixture. Carefully spread chicken on baking sheet and repeat with remaining chicken.
6. Bake chicken nuggets in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes, then broil on high until chicken tenders are nice and crispy. Make sure you watch the chicken nuggets while you are broiling them as you want them to just get browned, not burnt!